Thursday, July 1, 2010

Speak vs. Talk

In response to Akiko's question, I decided to explain a bit about the difference between these two verbs. Generally speaking, there isn't such a big difference between them.

A) I talked to my friend
B) I spoke to my friend.

Both of these are correct but B) spoke sounds more formal/serious and if you say "I spoke with my friend", it sounds like you are angry about something.

So, talk is most often used for informal and casual speech whereas speak is used for formal situations.

Be careful~! Talk is a noun AND a verb BUT speak is ONLY a verb, the noun form is speech.

I gave a talk at work.
An informal presentation.

I gave a speech at work.
A formal presentation, this sounds like a much bigger deal.

The president gave a speech.
A formal presentation.

I had a talk with him about it.
A casual chat.

So let's recap:

Talk - more casual, not so serious, communication between two people or a group, exchanging or sharing information.

Speak - more formal/serious, it usually places emphasis on ONE person communicating, it isn't so much two way communication.

That being said there are many cases where speak or talk are more appropriate based on common usage.

I speak Spanish.
Speak is used for LANGUAGES.

I was talking on the phone.
Talk is usually used with PHONE. Using speak makes it sound formal/angry/serious.

Here are some links with more explanations:

English Spark

SpeakSpeak

Washington Faculty Say/Speak/Tell/Talk

Using English's online quiz

I hope that helped a bit Akiko, have a good weekend!

Phil

No comments: