Monday, September 6, 2010

We grew apart...

Hi everyone, today I will teach you some useful vocabulary you can use when talking about your family or friends.

Are you close?

Do you understand this question? The verb to be close, means something is near.

A: Where's the post office?

B: It's pretty close, just walk straight for 5 minutes.

It ALSO means that you are emotionally close to someone. So it is most often used when describing relationships with family and friends. The question "Are you close?" means "Do you have a close relationship?".

A: Are you and your parents close?

B: Yeah, I tell them everything and we talk on the phone once a week.

Now, the second expression we are looking at is to grow apart. The original meaning was used for things, most often plants.

The trees I planted in my backyard grew apart.

The image here are two trees which planted next to each other growing apart to make a V shape. Or one tree which splits into two, like this:



Nowadays, it is most often used to talk about relationships. We use it to say, we used to be close but now we are not. Often, the change is gradual(little by little).

I'm worried about my marriage, I think me and my husband are growing apart

When we were kids we were best friends but we grew apart in high school. He joined the football team and I joined the glee club(singing club).


Any questions? Have a good week,

Phil




No comments: