Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Katakana English...

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted more lessons this month but I've decided to take the JLPT(Japanese Language Proficiency Test) in December so alot of my free time is now being taken up with studying... wish me luck~! So this month I will post 6 lessons instead of my usual 8 and I think that will be about how many I will post in the next few months till my test.

Today's lesson is about some Katakana English words that have different meanings from the original English meaning.


リップスティック = chapstick or lip balm

but

口紅(くちべに)= lipstick


We use chapstick often in Canada to protect our lips from the cold but lipstick(kuchibeni) is used as make up by women. So Japanese people SAY lipstick BUT they MEAN chapstick~ in English!

Next we also have this pair:


エアリング = clip-on earrings

but


ピアス = normal earrings



So when Japanese people say earrings they mean clip-on earrings you can wear without pierced ears. But when they want to say normal earrings for someone with pierced ears they say pierce(ピアス )!

Ok that is it for this month, I will try and post something this weekend, enjoy this rainy Thursday,
Phil



No comments: