Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fight or argue?

Hey guys, do you know the difference between these two words?

ARGUE is VERBAL you are just using words. You might shout, scream or yell or even just talk in an excited way. You are basically having a disagreement using words.

in a car...

Anne: I think Stacy is the cutest!

Betty: No, it's Heidi.

Anne: Stacy, she has dimples!

Betty: Heidi has round eyes!

Anne: Stacy!

Betty: Heidi~!

Mom: Stop arguing!!!

FIGHT can be verbal or PHYSICAL or even BOTH. Many times things start off verbally and then progress into a physical fight...

...later.

Betty: Heidi is cuter! Stacy is an ugly cow!

Anne: Take that back! 

Betty: No~! Heidi is the best!

Anne: POW~ ! (hits Betty)

Betty: Owww.... Mom, Anne hit me~!

Mom: I told you to stop fighting~~! That's it we're going home, no concert for you bad girls!

Girls: Mooooo~m~!

So fight is a bit more general, you aren't sure exactly what happened but you know that two people or groups disagreed and are enemies or opponents. Argue is a bit more narrowly focused, you know that people just yelled or raised their voices. Argue is therefore a bit weaker than fight.

I saw a woman arguing with her friend on the train, they were so loud!

I had a fight with my wife so I had to sleep on the couch.

When I was a kid, I always used to fight with my brother.

Try not to start any arguments! You don't wanna get into any fights~!

Phil 

P.S. Be careful, fight is a noun and verb but argue is only a verb! The noun form is argument.


No comments: