Wednesday, September 12, 2012

This is a stick up~!

Today, we are looking at phrasal verbs and expressions using the verb "to stick". The first one we are looking at is:


a stick up


This is a robbery. Someone comes into a bank or shop and yells "This is a stick up" and all the people there stick their hands up in the air.


to stick with ( X )


This means that you will stay on the same team as someone. You won't leave them.

I tried Coke but I think I'll stick with Pepsi.

Meaning, I am a Pepsi drinker and I tried coca-cola but I won't change brands. I will continue to drink Pepsi.

We have to split up. Tom you stick with me. Jed go with Paul.

to stick up for ( X )


This means that you will stand up for someone. You will take their side and defend them.

When I was young I always stuck up for my brother.

You should stick up for yourself. You shouldn't let people push you around.

to stick around


This means that you will stay in the same place. You won't leave.

Al: Ted you should stick around till Jill shows up. You'll like her.

Ted: I can't stick around anymore or I'm gonna miss my train.

Al: Don't leave yet. Stick around just a bit more.

Ted: OK, I'll stick around for 10 more minutes.


 Have a good week,

Phil


No comments: